Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Works-for-me Wednesday: Garbage disposals

No, I'm not referring to your dogs or teenage sons, although I can see why either could be affectionately called a garbage disposal. I'm talking about the real deal.

Most of us already know of the old trick of sticking lemon wedges in your disposal to freshen it up and make your kitchen smell wonderful, but sometimes you really need to clean it out well. I have an aversion to Clorox and only use it sparingly, so my alternative is to pour baking soda into my disposal (about 1/2 a cup, more or less), then pour white vinegar over that until it stops bubbling (also approx. 1/2 cup). It's cheap, handy, and very effective!

Also, if you need to sharpen your disposal blades, stick a bunch of ice cubes in there, then run cold water and turn your disposal on until the noise dies down.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I use baking soda and vinegar, too! It's my favorite Mr. Wizard experiment.