Thursday, April 24, 2008

Squash Boat recipe

For those of you who asked for my recipe, I really wasn't trying to be secretive with it! It's really quite simple the way I make it (my mom uses a more elaborate filling):

zucchini squash
ground beef, browned, and seasoned with Nature's Seasonings
Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
salt and pepper


1. Preheat oven to 300. Slice zucchini in half, lenghwise. (I almost said "horizontally", but then I suppose that would depend on which way you were holding the squash, huh?)

2. Steam the zucchini until tender, using either a steamer or microwave. You should be able to easily stick a knife into them. (Or, you can place them flat side down in a pan with about 1/2 inch of water and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.)

3. Meanwhile, have your ground beef warming in a skillet with seasoning, salt, and pepper.

4. Once squash is cooked, and using a pot holder to hold them, scrape the "innards", or "guts" from the shell, being careful not to cut into the skin. Place the squash guts into the pan with the meat. Note: I use a Pampered Chef Cook's Corer to scrape the squash, but you could also use a small spoon.

5. Place your empty zucchini skins into a baker. Fill them with the meat mixture. Cover with Monterrey Jack cheese (the more, the merrier).

6. Place in oven until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.

(I didn't include amounts, because it really depends on your family size. We use about 5 average-sized squash, 1 lb. ground beef, and 1 1/2 cups cheese.)

1 comment:

the mccann clan said...

Thank you! Now, if I could only find the gargantuan zuchinni that you got in your co-op! ;o)