Saturday, January 05, 2013

Kid Interview (from May 2012)

So my last post was a bit heavy. I thought we could use some lightening up around here, so here's a great interview you can do with your kids every so often. Get them each in the room alone with you for a very important interview, and try not to howl at their answers.

When I did this a few years ago, we had quite a few answers relating to vacuuming. This time around, screaming and tickle-torturing seem to be the popular themes.



Kid Interview conducted with Emma Catherine (age 9.5), Garfield (age 6½), Elizabeth (age 5), and Shepherd (age 2 ¾):

1. What is something mom always says to you?
Emma Catherine: I love you.
Garfield: I love you.
Elizabeth: Clean up because it’s dirty.
Shepherd: Don’t scream.

2. What makes mom happy?
Emma Catherine: Brushing her hair.
Garfield: When we’re sharing and being kind to each other, and when we’re loving on you, and when we come in the morning and snuggle with you in bed.
Elizabeth: By hugging her and kissing her and obeying right away.
Shepherd: That we cannot scream and being playful.

3. What makes mom sad?
Emma Catherine: When we’re growing up.
Garfield: When we’re being mean, and when we have to get spankings.
Elizabeth: Disobeying her.
Shepherd: Screaming.

(Does this look like the face of a screamer/trouble-maker?)

4. How does your mom make you laugh?
Emma Catherine: Singing funny songs.
Garfield: By playing the blue crab game and playing with us, and kissing us all up, and steamroller smooch.
Elizabeth: By tickling me.
Shepherd: Tickle torture.

5. What was your mom like as a child?
Emma Catherine: You were an adventuring kid.
Garfield: You liked it and you were playing, and you would go to your grandfather’s house and pick tangerines and oranges.
Elizabeth: A little girl and playful.
Shepherd: Grandad Green and Grandma Jan gave you a little pony.

6. How old is your mom?
Emma Catherine: 33.
Garfield: 39? 31?
Elizabeth: 80.
Shepherd: I don’t know.

7. How tall is your mom?
Emma Catherine: 100 pounds? Or is that too fat? I don’t know.
Garfield: Taller than the office desk, and not as tall as a door, but you can reach the top of the window in the office.
Elizabeth: About 3 feet.
Shepherd: WERY big!

8. What is her favorite thing to do?
Emma Catherine: Loving on us.
Garfield: Stay home and play with us and do fun stuff with us, and resting.
Elizabeth: Play with us and stuff.
Shepherd: Tickle torture.

9. What does your mom do when you're not around.
Emma Catherine: Organize.
Garfield: Work---office work, and go out to places because you usually don’t bring us to HEB.
Elizabeth: Washes dishes.
Shepherd: You get scared.



10. If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for?
Emma Catherine: Being loving.
Garfield: That’s kind of a tough one.
Elizabeth: Kissing me.
Shepherd: Jesus.

11. What is your mom really good at?
Emma Catherine: Piano.
Garfield: Typing. You do it super fast without looking.
Elizabeth: Cooking.
Shepherd: Tickle torture.


12. What is your mom not very good at?
Emma Catherine: Running super fast, and cartwheels. I’ve never seen you run fast before.
Garfield: At being mean.
Elizabeth: Pogo stick because you always do one jump and then fall off.
Shepherd: Not tickle torture.

13. What does your mom do for her job?
Emma Catherine: Takes care of us.
Garfield: You work on the computer, or helping Daddy with his jobsite stuff, kind of telling him what he should type.
Elizabeth: Wash dishes and clean them and stuff.
Shepherd: You tickle torture me.

14. What is your mom's favorite food?
Emma Catherine: Salmon.
Garfield: Do you like mashed potatoes? I don’t really know.
Elizabeth: Orange chicken.
Shepherd: Salad.

15. What makes you proud of your mom?
Emma Catherine: For how well she cleans.
Garfield: That you’re my mommy.
Elizabeth: You make Mickey Mouse pancakes and it’s hard to do that, and you make round crabby patties…I mean, what is it called? Salmon patties.
Shepherd: Not spanking me.

16. If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be?
Emma Catherine: Beaker.
Garfield: Maybe Daffy Duck.
Elizabeth: I tink the Tweety bird on Looney Tunes because he’s cute and funny and says, “Did I just see a Puddy Tat? Yes, I did see a Puddy Tat!”
Shepherd: A monster! And you would eat me, and I would run away from you.

17. What do you and your mom do together?
Emma Catherine: Go on dates.
Garfield: We play together, and I love going places with you, and playing games like finding Grandpa Looky.
Elizabeth: Cook and play, and I love to bake cookies together.
Shepherd: Tickle torture.



18. How are you and your mom the same?
Emma Catherine: We both love back scratches.
Garfield: We both have brown eyes.
Elizabeth: We both have brown hair.
Shepherd: Family.

19. How are you and your mom different?
Emma Catherine: I love to train dogs, and you’re not too big on it.
Garfield: You’re a girl and I’m a boy, you have long hair I have short hair, you do girl stuff, I do boy stuff.
Elizabeth: Pecause of our eyes.
Shepherd: Not family.

20. How do you know your mom loves you?
Emma Catherine: Because you give me Rocky Rocky, and plenty of love.
Garfield: Because you play with us and snuggle with us, and give us Rocky-rocky, which I love, you read us books, and I love that stuff.
Elizabeth: Because she kisses and hugs me and always tells me that.
Shepherd: Because you love.

21. Where is your mom's favorite place to go?
Emma Catherine: La Madeleine, or Schlotzsky’s, Bed Bath & Beyond, and the beach.
Garfield: Taco C, the Dollar Store, Schlotzsky’s.
Elizabeth: Taco C.
Shepherd: Schlotzsky’s


5 comments:

Unknown said...

So Shepherd is a screamer and likes tickle torched. Lol. I am so glad you are blogging again. I miss you guys.

~Lizzie-Beth said...

That is so sweet!
But what is Rocky Rocky?

~Lizzie-Beth said...

That was so sweet! I loved it!

What is Rocky Rocky?

~Erin Smith

Stephanie said...

Rocky-Rocky is something I started years ago. It used to be a few minutes before bedtime, when I would give each baby some time with me in the recliner. They could pick 3 songs for me to sing, or a combo of songs and made-up stories. :)

It's evolved over the years, but now each child has "their day", M-F, in birth order. Part of their day's privileges includes rocky-rocky at night. They get to snuggle or rock with Mommy, and get either 3 books read to them, or 2 books and a back scratch. The name "rocky rocky" has just stuck!

Krista said...

This is adorable!!!